DEVELOPMENT OPERATIONS MANAGER
UpStart partners with the Jewish community’s boldest leaders to expand the picture of how Jews find meaning and how we come together. Whether someone is starting a new Jewish venture, or reimagining what an existing one has to offer, UpStart gives them the entrepreneurial tools and network they need to build the Jewish community of the future.
Laying the groundwork for and maintaining the operational infrastructure that supports the fundraising function is critical for any non-profit’s success. UpStart is seeking a Development Operations Manager to play a key role in a small and versatile team doing just this. As lead administrator for all organizational fundraising work, this person will support donor/funder cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities; oversee event management, donor communications, data management, and reporting; and facilitate cross-departmental collaboration and project management as they relate to fundraising. They will also hold independent fundraising responsibilities for a small portfolio of current individual donors who need to be stewarded and solicited each year.
A member of the Development Team, the Development Operations Manager is a full-time exempt position based in New York City (preferred). We are also open to candidates who reside in our other hub regions (Chicago, New York, Denver, the Bay Area, and Los Angeles). This position reports to the Chief Development Officer and partners closely across teams (Development, Brand Strategy, Program, and People & Systems).
- Execute intimate fundraising gatherings (4-6 per year) by collaborating with the program, brand strategy, and executive teams, as well as with donors
- Leverage data, team members, and funders to execute event invitation process: list creation, invitation design, invitation copy, RSVP tracking, and reminder emails
- Manage the follow-up plan for individual donors by tracking tasks of the Chief Development Officer, Chief Executive Officer, and regional team lead
- Execute user experience plan to ensure events are delightful, compelling, and on-brand, including providing input on the event program, ordering swag, and setting up visuals
- Enter all individual donations into Salesforce; liaise with Finance team to confirm financial reconciliation each month
- Work in partnership with Business Analyst to create reports and dashboards that effectively illustrate contributed revenue data
- Proactively ensure all fundraising data across the organization is inputted into the database by personally entering national data and partnering with regional staff to ensure they are updating local data
- Serve as “owner” of various cross-departmental fundraising projects, responsible for coordinating all parties working on the effort
- Create and manage event work plans, track deadlines, and hold team members accountable
- Drive work plan implementation in each region by partnering with local staff to ensure deliverables are being achieved
- Project examples include: data and reporting, collateral and communications, donor stewardship and cultivation
Marketing and Communications
- Support creation of presentation slides and hand-out materials for board meetings and team gatherings using data visualization techniques
- Write content for funder audiences, including donor acknowledgement letters, development collateral, funder correspondence, and invitation copy
- Work in partnership with Events and Marketing Associate to create and distribute communications pieces to funders and prospects and to develop and distribute event invitations
- Manage renewals and upgrade process for small portfolio of current donors (approximately 30)
- Prepare materials and research for donor meetings and manage data for donor marketing and communications
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a development department and/or operations role
- A proactive self-starter able who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and can easily adapt to changing needs
- Resourceful, deadline-oriented, and a quick study
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Enjoys working with others and has a customer-service-oriented attitude
- High degree of professionalism, diplomacy, and tact
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong time management skills, attention to detail, and accuracy
- Able to juggle multiple projects simultaneously with poise and a results orientation
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree
- Familiarity with Salesforce and/or other CRM systems, Google Suite, Microsoft Office, and video conferencing
- Experience working directly with donors
- Understands the power of managing up and applies it to their work
- Excited about leveraging the power of data to improve fundraising performance
- Looking to develop their career in a fundraising setting
The salary range for this position is $52,000-$60,000, assuming at least 3 years of relevant experience. If you have differing experience or have other salary requirements, let’s talk.
UpStart offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, matching 401K, FSA, and an annual professional development stipend. We value the time you spend outside the office as much as we value your time spent with us, and so, our flexible scheduling and open vacation policies enable you to hold both.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume, along with a thoughtful and concise cover letter, to our hiring team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
UpStart strives to model our vision of a just, vibrant, and inclusive future. As an equal opportunity employer, UpStart strongly encourages applications from individuals with varied identities and backgrounds, including Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews, Jews of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, LGBTQIA people, and people who come from low income or working class backgrounds.
WHAT TO EXPECT
At UpStart, our Team Philosophy is to Dream with Purpose, Build the ‘What Might Be’, and Grow the Good. This philosophy underpins how we work — and how we work together. For more about UpStart’s organizational culture, check out our culture deck.
We will be openly recruiting for this position until it is filled, with an ideal start date of January 6, 2020. Candidates who have been selected to advance to an initial call will be contacted directly. Please know that even if you do not advance in our process or hear from us directly, due to the volume of applicants, we recognize and value the time and effort you’ve taken to submit your application.
Our internal process from submission to offer will look as follows:
- A preliminary call will be scheduled with our internal recruiter.
- Candidates who advance to the first interview will meet with the Hiring Manager.
- Candidates who advance to a second round will complete an experiential assignment in advance of interviewing with two collaborators for this position — the Business Analyst & Senior Director, People & Systems.
- Finalists will participate in a third-round interview with the Hiring Manager. References will be requested of all finalists in advance of this final meeting.